Center for Women's Studies (CWS)
The Center for Women’s Studies (CWS) at Eastern Mediterranean University (EMU) is the first academic research and training center for women in Northern Cyprus. CWS was established on November 17, 1998 and has worked primarily to encourage sensitivity towards the problems women face and to raise awareness of women’s issues by bringing them to the attention of the public.
- Raise public awareness of gender issues
- Promote and conduct interdisciplinary research on gender-specific issues
- Disseminate research findings and conference outcomes to the decision-making mechanisms in charge of gender-related matters in universities, and public
- Promote the status of women
- Facilitate communication with and among institutions and organizations dealing with women’s issues • Contribute to the development and change of policies addressing the problems women face
- Provide an archive of information and documentation for the use of researchers working on gender-related subjects
- Promotion of scholarly research on gender issues
- Preparation of education kits and campaigns to increase gender awareness in schools, governmental and non-governmental institutions, and the media, among others.
- Publication of periodicals, books and proceedings, addressing women’s issues and articulating the findings of research in the area
- Organization of conferences, congresses, workshops and seminars
- Opening a women’s studies graduate program at EMU to increase the number and quality of research projects and researchers
- Coordination and cooperation with national and international organizations and institutions
- Publication: Kadın/Woman 2000, a bilingual (Turkish/English) journal of the CWS, is an international publication in print since 2000. Published biannually, this journal is a multi-disciplinary refereed journal, indexed and abstracted in various databases and dedicated to the scholarly study of all aspects of women’s issues.
- Conferences: CWS hosted two international conferences on women’s studies in 2004 and 2006 respectively and the third one is to be held in April 2009.
- Activities: Every year, CWS organizes and holds seminars and workshops to raise awareness of gender issues in the university and among the local community. In addition, CWS organizes cultural events and exhibitions of the work of Turkish Cypriot women artists on International Women’s Day.
- Projects: The Center’s ongoing projects entail topics such as Women and the Environment, Women and Economic Development, Women and the Media.
- Graduate Program: CWS has completed the preparatory phase for launching an interdisciplinary graduate program on Women and Gender Studies in the 2008 – 2009 academic year.